Diesel Technician I
We are Diesel Laptops, one of South Carolina’s fastest-growing companies! Founded in 2015, Diesel Laptops has grown from 1 employee to 185 employees and nearly $50,000,000 in annual sales in just 6 short years. After outgrowing several buildings, we’ve now put down roots in Irmo, SC, where this position will be based. We’re currently an industry leader in providing diagnostic solutions to fleets and repair shops. Whether it’s on-highway (like tractor-trailers), off-highway (like cranes and similar heavy equipment), or marine (like powerboats), if it has a diesel engine, we help fix it by providing world-quality diagnostic kits, repair information, parts information, and related training services.
If you have hands-on diesel technician experience but are tired of working on the shop floor, this is the job for you! Due to our continued rapid growth, we’re frequently looking for qualified, experienced Diesel Mechanics to join our team. Here’s your chance to help Diesel Laptops Tech Support become the go-to company for diesel diagnostic software!
This job entails assisting our loyal customers remotely over the phone/webchat/remote access, identifying and troubleshooting issues using our diesel diagnostic tools. We can teach you the "computer" side of the job, but we want someone with commercial diesel truck and heavy equipment experience. You will be assisting our clients over the phone, webchat, and via remote access; not working hands-on. This is an in-store position at our Irmo, SC headquarters.
- Manage incoming calls and customer service inquiries; provide first level contact and convey resolutions to customer issues by walking customers through a problem-solving process
- Help customers with diagnostic codes and troubleshooting using multiple types of diagnostic software
- Track, route and properly escalate unresolved queries to the next level of support
- Identify and assess customers’ needs to achieve customer satisfaction; follow up with customers, provide feedback and see problems through to resolution
- Ensure proper recording, documentation and closure by creating detailed records regarding reported requests, issues, and solutions; update customer data and produce activity reports
- Utilize excellent customer service skills and exceed customers' expectations
- Preserve and grow knowledge of help desk procedures, products and services; recommend procedure modifications and/or improvements
- Adhere to all company policies, procedures, and controls; follow communication procedures, guidelines, and policies
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong background with computers, either through previous work experience or education
- Customer service oriented with strong communication skills (both oral and written) and strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of software installation process
- Knowledge of commercial diesel truck and heavy equipment
- General troubleshooting and multi-tasking skills; willing to learn product-specific troubleshooting
- Must be a team player with the ability to help others with troubleshooting
- 5+ years of Diesel Technician experience in a dealer or fleet setting
- Proficient with advanced diagnostics: software and diagnostic troubleshooting
- Experience troubleshooting and repairing electrical issues for heavy-duty equipment and diesel trucks preferred
- Experience removing and replacing components on diesel engines and automatic and manual transmissions preferred
Excellent written and verbal communications skills as would be needed to communicate in person, by phone, and through email; adaptability and flexibility to changing conditions; comfortable working in a dynamic, high volume, fast-paced environment. Ability to read, write, evaluate, and apply information. Ability to interact professionally and exhibit appropriate social skills. Ability to maintain confidential information and professional boundaries. Ability to understand and ensure compliance with policies, procedures, and laws. Ability to develop and maintain business relationships. Proficient in Microsoft Office.
English / Spanish bilingual skills desirable, but not required.
Education Level Required:
Highschool diploma or equivalent.
A.S.E. certification preferred.
Sitting for long periods of time; standing occasionally; walking; bending; squatting; kneeling; pushing/pulling; reaching; twisting; frequent lifting of less than 10 lbs., occasional lifting of up to 20 lbs.; typing; data entry; grasping; transferring items between hands and/or to another person or receptacle; use of office equipment to include computers.
Available as needed with appropriate notice, but no significant travel is anticipated for this position.
Casual attire permitted. Professional attire may occasionally be required for specific events or meetings.
Must be eligible to work in the USA without sponsorship. May be subject to criminal background checks.
40 hours/week non-exempt hourly
Apply for This Position