Director of Engineering
We are Diesel Laptops, one of South Carolina’s fastest-growing companies! Founded in 2015, Diesel Laptops has grown from 1 employee to 175 employees and nearly $50,000,000 in annual sales in just 6 short years. After outgrowing several buildings, we’ve now put down roots in Irmo, SC, where this position will be based. We’re currently an industry leader in providing diagnostic solutions to fleets and repair shops. Whether it’s on-highway (like tractor-trailers), off-highway (like cranes and similar heavy equipment), or marine (like powerboats), if it has a diesel engine, we help fix it by providing world- quality diagnostic kits, repair information, parts information, and related training services.
We currently have an immediate opening for an Engineering Director to join our team. The Engineering Director will report directly to the CEO. The ideal candidate should be equally comfortable with setting strategies, priorities, and processes, as well as hands-on programming. They will lead the product development engineering teams and manage the cloud infrastructure and information security team. To ensure success, they must have in-depth technical knowledge, exceptional project and time-management skills, and strong communication and people skills.
In our efforts to keep everyone at Diesel Laptops safe and healthy we are abiding by the health and safety precautions recommended by the CDC and the WHO to help prevent the transmission and/or contraction of COVID – 19 by social distancing, providing face masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, and temperature checks to all employees working on site.
- Lead teams of engineers, developers, and other IT professionals to execute the product roadmap.
- Oversee and curate an agile software development process to enable continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Determine the appropriate application architecture with a bias towards cloud-native micro services.
- Ensure appropriate quality of all external and internal software and platform releases; set and/or execute QA testing standards for all releases.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Sales, Marketing, and Operations to balance improvements and bug fixes for existing products against new product priorities.
- Ensure all technological processes and services comply with applicable requirements, laws, and regulations.
- Develop, engage, and retain team members, including contractors and vendors.
- Provide technical information and specifications to customers as needed.
- Track, analyze, and monitor technology performance metrics and usage analytics.
- Supervise system infrastructure to ensure functionality and efficiency.
- Working with internal IT Support and the Systems Administrator, secures the company’s internal and external data, instituting appropriate security controls, running security audits, and providing basic security training and education.
- May act as the project manager for IT initiatives/new product development, ensuring on-time/on-budget delivery.
- Develop and implement disaster/emergency recovery plans.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills as would be needed to communicate in person, by phone, and through email.
- Adaptability and flexibility to a changing environment.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, high volume, fast-paced environment.
- Fluency with multiple programming languages and design patterns.
- Ability to interact professionally and exhibit appropriate social skills.
- Ability to maintain confidential information and professional boundaries.
- Ability to understand and ensure compliance with policies, procedures, and laws.
- Ability to develop and maintain business relationships.
- 5+ years in software development/engineering, information technology, or related role.
- 3+ years in management or leadership role.
- Experience deploying at scale to at least one IaaS platform.
- Experience leading a team in an agile development process with working CI/CD and test-driven development.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, or related field required.
- Master’s degree in information technology, a technology-related discipline, or an MBA degree is a plus.