Vehicle Software Engineering Manager
We are Diesel Laptops, one of South Carolina’s fastest-growing companies! Founded in 2015, Diesel Laptops has grown from 1 employee to 175 employees and nearly $50,000,000 in annual sales in just 6 short years. After outgrowing several buildings, we’ve now put down roots in Irmo, SC, where this position will be based. We’re currently an industry leader in providing diagnostic solutions to fleets and repair shops. Whether it’s on-highway (like tractor-trailers), off-highway (like cranes and similar heavy equipment), or marine (like powerboats), if it has a diesel engine, we help fix it by providing world- quality diagnostic kits, repair information, parts information, and related training services.
We currently have an immediate opening for a Software Engineering Manager to join our team. The Software Engineering Manager will report directly to the CEO. The ideal candidate will have a passion and a desire to lead a team of developers to create and upgrade software applications for light, medium, and heavy-duty vehicles. They will have a strong work ethic, a can-do-anything attitude, and a drive to create cutting edge technologies.
In our efforts to keep everyone at Diesel Laptops safe and healthy we are abiding by the health and safety precautions recommended by the CDC and the WHO to help prevent the transmission and/or contraction of COVID – 19 by social distancing, providing face masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, and temperature checks to all employees working on site.
- Coach, mentor, and develop a team of vehicle software engineers with developing new vehicle diagnostic products.
- Develop real-time applications for light, medium, and heavy-duty vehicles and equipment in C++ and C# on Android, iOS, Windows, and various microprocessor platforms.
- Use various communication/messaging protocols such as CAN bus as well as other vehicle protocols such as J1939, ISO15765, J1708/J1587, J1850VPW, J1850PWM, ISO9141, and ISO14230.
- Work with common SAE and TMC industry standards such as TMC RP1210, SAE J2534, ISO14229, SAE J1979/OBDII, and SAE J2012.
- Replicate existing functionality in third-party software like bi-directional commands and recreate within Diesel Laptops software.
- Work closely with technicians and end-users to understand needs and help the team to design innovative and user-friendly applications.
- Lead team-oriented exercises such as code reviews, training, and sharing existing knowledge.
- Write highly readable, reliable, and reusable code by following Diesel Laptops’ internal coding standards.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable working to meet strict deadlines.
- Adaptable and flexible in changing environments.
- Must possess a meticulous attention to detail.
Must be an expert in the following areas:
- Real-time embedded systems programming, the threading/multi-process model, firmware development, as well as real-time operating systems.
- The ESP32 microprocessor family and FreeRTOS.
- Vehicle CAN Communications and related higher level protocols.
- Must have 5+ years’ experience managing vehicle software engineers.
- Experience developing Vehicle Diagnostic Software.
- 5+ years experience as an embedded software engineer using C, C++, or C#.
- Other programming language experience and PHP experience an asset.
- Experience working with UDS and / or WWH – OBD.
- Must have written and updated new and existing code using the above Object-Oriented programming languages in the last 3 years.
Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, or a related engineering field.
Master’s degree in information technology or a technology related discipline.