Cummins Engine Derated with Codes 3712 & 3714

Nov 19, 2019 - 1:00 PM

Viewed 148516 times

• Client called in, and he had codes 3712 & 3714 active on his Cummins ISC engine. These codes are also used with other Cummins engines, and the procedure is the same.

The customer had some other codes that were active previously, and had already fixed the problem. However, the truck was still derated with the codes mentioned above and he wasn't sure how to fix it. The procedure:

1) Run the Aftertreatment Maintenance command
    2) Run the NOx Reset command
    3) Perform a regen (Recommended, not required)
    4) Codes will go inactive and can be cleared.

This can be done with OEM software, TEXA Truck, or Cojali Construction/Ag software.

• Thank you, Tyler. Those two codes have turned a lot of my hairs grey! Where did you find that procedure? Here is something I posted in another forum a while back... just in case that doesn't work for someone.

"I went to a shop last week to look at this truck, two codes were in the PCM and would not clear. The shop diagnosed the truck with a bad particulate sensor. The sensor was replaced and the code did not come back. The 3712 and 3714 codes however would not clear, and the engine was in derate mode. Below you can see the conditions for clearing the code:

3712 - Aftertreatment SCR Operator Inducement- Data Valid but Above Normal Operational Range- Most Severe Level

Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code: This fault code will go inactive once all other active fault codes have been addressed. Refer to the appropriate fault code troubleshooting tree. The ECM will turn off the red STOP ENGINE lamp immediately after the diagnostic runs and passes.

3714 - Engine Protection Torque Derate- Condition Exists

Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code: This fault code will go inactive once all other active fault codes have been addressed. Refer to the appropriate fault code troubleshooting tree. The ECM will turn off the amber CHECK ENGINE lamp immediately after the diagnostic runs and passes.

A regen and SCR test was performed post repair. All of the temps looked perfect and it passed all of the tests. The 3712 and 3714 still would not go away, there were absolutely no other codes. I have experienced this before, my simple minded explanation is that the codes are latched and there is a software issue. I decided to reflash the computer to the latest calibration. The codes were gone and everything was back to normal. I have also reinstalled the same calibration on ECMs that do not have an update available with the same success."

That post was on a 2017 ISB 6.7L

• I have the same problem active code was repaired but I am stuck with 3712,3714 that won’t clear and won’t allow me to update because I am at the latest version

• The INLINE 7 Link Adapter can be configured to use Bluetooth wireless technology to provide communication between the INLINE 7 and your PC
    Buy Cummins INLINE 7 Data Link Adapter with Insite 8.7 Software Multi-language Truck Diagnostic Tool with fast shipping and top-rated customer service.

This post was edited Mar 13, 2023 10:59AM
  • I have my insight procedures pulled up and I can't find aftertreatment maintenance command found the rest of the procedures but not that step please help currently going through this issue at our shop

• So what was the outcome? Was the problem ever solved??